Here are just a few of the issues that keep me from signing employment, non-disclosure and non-compete agreements:
1. “At-will employment” — The company’s agreement says they have the right to fire you anytime, without a reason and without penalty but they don’t mention or deny you the same right to quit without penalty.
2. Future disclosures — they may require you to disclose to them whatever you work on for future employers which disables your ability to sign and abide by future confidentiality agreements.
3. Legal Expenses — Whatever they charge you with, you are required to bear the financial burden of their legal expenses.
4. Transfer of all your IP — past, present and/or future. Whatever you discover, built, or build for them during our outside of work, at school or afterwards is automatically transferred to them. Had the Google or Facebook founders signed such a legal document, surely they would have been later sued.
5. Legal verbiage — There are many legal phrases and terms that you may not recognize including “at-will employment” and “work for hire.” Don’t assume you’ll recognize those terms.
6. Carefully written verbiage designed to deceive.
7. Non compete — Required adherence to not work for their clients and partners without listing who they are.
If they won’t send you the documents they require you to sign then they are hiding something so don’t put yourself and family in jeopardy.
They may say after you accept the job you can read the documents while signing them but under that pressure will you really walk away from a bad contract?
Ask them if they will work directly with your lawyer and send your lawyer all the documents. If they won’t do that then forget it–there are plenty of jobs available. Don’t ruin your life.
Of course you hope you discover or invent something at school or outside of work that you can benefit from. Work towards that and prosper.
Utah governments and their hundreds of pages of regulations are responsible for Utah’s housing crisis by making it financially impossible to settle.
When 19th-century pioneers were asked to settle lands, they moved onto them and went to work.
Today you can’t move onto your land and build. You must ask for government permission every step of the way.
You will be required to pay for 1) a government-mandated perk test, 2) soil test, 3) soil exploratory pits for underground water level tests, 4) piezometers and a year of government water-level monitoring, 4) well-water quality tests, 5) an environmental impact study, 6) plat drawings, 7) multiple title reports as requested, 8) a subdivision feasibility letter, 9) noxious weed certification, 10) water rights, 11) a well, 12) a waste-water treatment system and drain field, 12) power brought to your property and connected to your home, 13) gas or propane, and 14) And to build, pave and dedicate a road.
Utah County’s annual budget is $85 million. How many miles of new sewer and municipal waste-water treatment systems do they build? None.
Because of government regulations, 96% of Utahans compete for 4% of the land in towns.
The future of free speech in America may now rest entirely upon you. You may either do nothing and let it erode or you can use your platform to tell the country that you will not stand for its demise and if you cannot persuade or arrest the perpetrators at Apple, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and other companies who have conspired, then tell the American people that it is their duty to stop using the conspirators’ products until they apologize to the American people and mend their ways to conform with the United States Constitution and Bill of Rights.
As Americans, we defend the right of our citizens to do, think and say whatever they may as long as it doesn’t intrude upon the rights of others.
Mr. President, if you do not take immediate and swift action, freedom and liberty may someday trace their death to your inaction. Without them, America’s future will be dark, ugly and oppressive.